(NC)—You don’t have to spend hundreds of dollars on a landscape architect to add major impact to your garden this spring. Try these simple and affordable tips to get it looking beautiful in no time:
- Fun fences. Are you faced with a concrete wall? Put up a trellis or two for an instantly dramatic and elegant look. Play up the look even more by adding some climbing plants to highlight the trellis.
- Blooms are in the air. Hanging baskets always look elegant on a porch or veranda and add instant colour to your garden. “Choose large baskets like the PC Jumbo Hanging Basket,” suggests Peter Cantley, a garden guru at Loblaw Companies Limited. “The flowers are beautifully colour coordinated, and the basket is big and roomy. That’s so important because a larger soil capacity helps keep plants from drying out. For real impact try brightly coloured baskets like apple green or plum, which coordinate beautifully with flowers.”
- Rocky road. Add some pretty pebbles or stones around plant bases or arrange large, smooth rocks along the edges of a pathway. This sophisticated look will draw attention to the shapes and curves in your yard.
- Light of the party. Proper lighting is essential for entertaining on summer evenings and for creating the perfect ambience in your garden getaway. Light from candles, lamps or illuminated planters make a big difference with a splash of colour.
- Use colourful planters. Set them around the edge of your patio to separate the space from the yard or put them right into your garden. Peter Cantley suggests the new PC Riley Pot, a stunning and fun plastic planter that comes in unique colours like peacock blue and deep burgundy. For more of a classic look, try the PC fibreglass pots. They have the look and feel of real stone but they’re a fraction of the price. The classic designs enhance any outdoor décor.