If you’re trying to get your home ready to put it on the market, think of it like having some really important company over for dinner. Their first impression starts the second they step out of the car. As someone who’s proud of your style and taste- you’ve probably already thought of that and made sure every little detail, from curb to front door has been meticulously designed to impress. When it comes to selling your home, you’ll want to use the same approach.
Now, unlike dinner guests, if a prospective buyer isn’t wowed by what they see, they may just turn around and leave. At least your dinner guests will continue inside for the meal! But potential buyers need to feel a connection before they’ll even open your front door. In order to prepare, you’re going to have to de-clutter, clean up and freshen up the look of your homes’ exterior if you want to lure them in the front door.
When it comes to preparing your home for a buyer’s scrutiny, you don’t have to be a whiz at design or landscaping. Your realtor can give you great advice on how to spruce up the outside to get visitors inside. They can also help you identify trouble areas and provide you with a checklist of things to fix, update and refresh to create appeal to help your home sell quickly.
Here are a few ways to give your exterior a makeover:
- The front door is the centerpiece of your home’s exterior and catches the eye almost instantly. Make sure to remove any dirt or grime and give it a fresh coat of paint. Why not try green to give the house a splash of colour?
- Windows are the next big eye-catching area on a home. So give your windows a good scrub on the inside and out – and don’t ignore the screens. Remove any rotting wood and give them a fresh coat of paint will make them look brand new. Adding a few window boxes can add more colour and interest
- Pathways and lighting can create or break a welcoming appearance. You’ll want to show potential homebuyers your green thumb by updating your landscaping. Give shrubs and bushes a trim and wash down any patio and pathway stones. Low-voltage lighting is an easy and effective way to provide a feeling of safety and warmth. Show off your flare for drama by creating accent lighting on plants, shrubs and trees.
- The human eye loves balance so create some eye-pleasing symmetry around your front entrance with light fixtures and plants on either side of the doorway.
- Polish up or replace accent pieces around the front such as doorknobs, knockers, doorbells, house numbers and mailboxes. Cleaning up or updating these small details can make a big difference in appearance.
When preparing to sell, you want to show your pride and flare for style both inside and out. By just taking some extra care and attention to the outside of your home, you’ll give buyers a reason to want to buy your home. Ask your realtor for ideas or resources to help you turn first impressions into a quick sale.
article courtesy of OREA
Are you looking to sell your home in Hamilton? Click here for a FREE, NO OBLIGATION, online home evaluation! Go to www.HomeSaleGuarantee.ca